El Spelling Bee Contest se realiza al final del año escolar y consiste en una competencia de deletreo en inglés.
7 finalistas de cada sección van a la final, donde concursan deletreando hasta 200 palabras.
- The word will be picked from a bowl by the Pronouncer who will then announce it. He/she speaks slowly and clearly, without distorting the normal pronunciation of the word.
- The Speller listens carefully and asks for the word to be repeated if necessary. The Pronouncer uses the word in a sentence and says the word again only if the contestant asks for it.
- When the Speller is sure he/she understands the word, he/she repeats it, spells it and then says the word again (Ex: house, h-o-u-s-e, house). He/she must say it loudly enough for the Judge(s) to hear it.
- The Judge(s) determines whether or not the word was spelled correctly.
- If the correct spelling was given, the Speller remains in the contest.
- If the spelling was incorrect, that speller is eliminated from the contest. The Pronouncer gives the correct spelling of that word by saying the word, then spelling it and then repeating it again. Then the Pronouncer reads a new word to the next contestant.
- When there are only two spellers left, if one contestant misspells a word, the other one must spell that word correctly, plus one more word to be declared the winner of the Spelling Bee.
- If the Spellers who are left go 3 rounds with either one losing, they must say a meaningful sentence with the Spelling word in it given by the Pronouncer
4Th Grade: 160 words
5th Grade: 180 words
6th Grade: 200 words